Mennonite Heritage and
Each of the 8 buildings tells a different story.
Goessel State Bank
The first bank in Goessel, the Goessel State Bank, located at 220 E. Main, was established in 1910 with a capital of $10.000 and a surplus of $1,000. The bank was a one-man operation for most of its 25-year history. Henry J. Loewen served as cashier from 1912 to 1935 and from 1929 to 1932 he was assisted by Ben Boese, who worked as teller and posting machine operator.
During the Great Depression the bank's charter was purchased by Midland Bank of Newton in 1935. The Goessel State Bank's depositors suffered no losses, primarly because of Loewen's conservative lending practices.
The Goessel State Bank offered area citizens enterainment as well as financial aid. On the east wall-- the bank faced south--hung a barometer. Many people would stop by to check the only barometer in town. (No TV weatherman yet)
Before the building was moved to the museum complex, it was used by the Crossroads Co-operative Service Station as a warehouse to store oil barrels, sacks of feed for poultry and other items needed by local farmers.
The building currently displays artifacts from past Goessel businesses, post office boxes, shoe repair, and laundry equipment.
The Goessel State Bank recieved a new roof in 2015 and a new coat of paint in 2016. See how you can help with part of this project.
Old laundry equipment in Bank Building
The Bank Building recieved a new tin roof on Oct, 14, 2015
Thank you for the donations that made the new roof possible.
What is a laundry mangle and how in the world did it work?
Fixing the south door of Bank Building 2022
The Goessel State Bank seen in its original setting -- Photo 1919.
Goessel State Bank
Dr. Charles Kaiser's office
Peter Graevs Store
J. E. Graevs Store
New roof 2015
Bank building moving day.in the late 1970's
2014-2024 Mennonite Heritage
and Agricultural Museum
Created by Fern Bartel nee Schmidt